Mgahinga Gorilla National Park Safari
The tour starts and ends in Kampala. Mount Gahinga, is a dormant/extinct volcano in the Virunga Mountains on the border between Rwanda and Uganda. Gahinga lies between Muhabura and Sabyinyo, but is the smallest of these three.
Although it’s the smallest of Uganda’s national parks at just 34 sq km, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park punches well above its weight. Tucked away in the far southwest corner of the country, the tropical rainforest cloaks three dramatic extinct volcanoes and, along with the contiguous Parc National des Volcans in Rwanda and Parc National des Virungas in the DRC (which together with Mgahinga form the 434-sq-km Virunga Conservation Area), this is the home of half the world’s mountain gorilla population. Elephants and buffaloes are rarely seen, but they’re also out there, and 115 species of bird flutter through the forests, including Rwenzori turaco and mountain black boo boo.
Gorilla tracking is still the main attraction here, but it’s less popular than Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, due to the one habituated family having a tendency to duck across the mountains into Rwanda or the DRC. But there’s much more on offer here than just gorillas. Mgahinga also serves up some challenging but rewarding treks and an interesting cave, plus golden monkey tracking is almost as fun as hanging out with the big boys.
Things to consider:
- Mid-range tour – Accommodated tour
- Group Tour – The tour is run for more than 2 people at a go
- Can depart any day? – This tour can depart any day
- Can be customized? – This tour can be customized
Minimum require age – Suitable for ages 16 and older
Tour Summary (See full day-by-day for more details)
- You’ll go to Uganda
- This tour starts and ends in Kampala (Uganda) – Getting there & away
- You’ll visit Kamapala (city), Mbarara (City), Kisoro (town), Mgahinga Gorilla Forest National Park
- Activities: Mountain hiking, gorilla tracking, golden monkey tracking
- Getting around: 4×4 Safari Land cruiser / Minivan
- A transfer from and back to the airport (or hotel) is included
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour can be arranged for extra cost